
Diary entry from Philip Malloy in the book Nothing But The Truth:
Monday, April 9
First day in the geeky Washington Academy. Really hated it. The school does not even have a track team! There goes my chance of ever being a County Champ. Can forget about Olympics. Miss Rooney, my homeroom teacher asked me to sing the Star Spangled Banner. Now the whole world knows that I do not know the words. Bet those students in my class were laughing in their hearts. No wonder everyone passing me was wearing a funny look. Could almost hear them gossiping when I was eating in the canteen.
Dad and Mum quarreled again. Could not hear what they were saying, bet it was about money, now that the college funds are depleted.
WHY DID I DO IT??? I really regretted not telling Dad about the track team, and my English results. After Coach Jamison told me that I could not enter the track team, I should have approached Narwin for extra work immediately. If I had done these, I would not have needed to lie to my parents about Narwin, and Dad would not have complained to Ted. Who cares about the national anthem anyway, I wasn’t even aware I was humming. Never knew it could blow into such a big mess. How I wish I could reverse time.
1 comment:
Ah, the 20/20 vision of hindsight. Too Late! Should have thought of that before. Good entry. Mr. S.
Post a Comment