
Here is a picture of my MI profile:
From this test, I can deduce that I am lingustic and intrapersonal.
The MI profile test is a test that aims to find out one's different strengths. It is an 'evolution' of the IQ test which was the most common indicator of one's ability in the past. The rationale behind creating this test is that people have different skills, and an IQ test testing only a person's logical skills is not a clear indicator of his ability. The creators of this test hoped that this test will cause people to ask "How are you smart?", instead of "How smart are you?"
This knowledge of 'How I am smart' has many uses in the real world. It can help us decide which subject combination to choose, or what job we should choose when we are older. For example, if someones' musical intelligence is very high, he can choose to work in the music industry.
Even though I agree with the idea of testing a persons' intelligence from all areas, I feel that the assesment style will cause the results to be inaccurate. For a start, we are asked whether 'I am rarely like this' or whether we are 'Sometimes like this'. The 'sometimes' and 'rarely' are not clearly defined, and different people have different perceptions of these words. This will cause preset notions of our ability to colour the results to a larger extent. For example, if someone thinks that he is not logical, he will answer 'I am never like this' to all questions asking for his logical ability, while in fact he may be quite logical. I think that this profiling can be improved by allowing the person to go through a variety of 'hands-on' test. For example, to test his musical ability, he may be asked to hum a tune; to test his kinaesthetic ability, he may be asked to catch a ball.
In conclusion, I think that this test is a good personal indicator, but we should all take the results with a pinch of salt.
No comments:
Post a Comment