Saturday, October 31, 2009

Year End Feast

The last week of the year is undoubtedly the most fun period of the year for me. The highlight of this week is ProEd Nite, an annual event. That day, on the 29th of October, after the CIP activity in the morning, fellow Pro-Edians gathered in the auditorium for the highly-anticipated Pro-Ed Nite. For all Pro-Edians, it meant an evening of performances, good food, and fun.

As one of the Pro-Ed councilors, I was stationed outside the auditorium before the event to give out light sticks to the students as souvenirs. Many ‘kiasu’ students tried to grab many light sticks, and I had to explain to them that each person was entitled to only one light stick; if they took more than one, other students would not have enough. Most students gave a sheepish grin, and returned the light sticks.

When I entered the auditorium, the performances had started, and I missed the first few shows. Thankfully, I managed to come in time for the performance by 4P1. We were treated to a slew of entertaining performances. There was a ‘piano battle’, where the actors played progressively harder masterpieces, a nostalgic photo montage of the Secondary 4 classes, and melodious singing by our talented Pro-Edians. Additionally, there was a ‘guess the teacher’ game, which left on me a lasting impression. Unlike other conventional ‘guess the teacher’ games, this game had an interesting twist: the teacher’s faces were photoshopped onto the bodies of super heroes. From ‘Spiderman Mr. Lim’, to ‘Wonder Woman Mrs. Wun’ the creative photos never failed to entice laughs from the audience. One of the performances that I enjoyed very much was the Council performance. I didn’t know that our council Chairman was such a good dancer!

After the last of the performances, Pro-Edians rushed down to the concourse for the Pro-Ed Feast, hungry. The tantalizing aroma of grilled hotdogs and baked rice wafted in the air, as students flooded into concourse. Councilors, including myself were assigned to serve food to the students, and I was serving sweet cocktails to the students. Pro-Edians seem to have sweet-tooths; many returned for second servings, depleting the three huge bowls of desert.

It was an enjoyable night for me, and I could tell from the satisfied smiles on the student’s faces that they too enjoyed this event thoroughly.

No comments: