
At the end of each school day, I am always faced with the same dilemma- how do I go home today? Take the school bus? Wait for Mum to fetch me? Neither! Now that I am in Secondary School, these are not options for me anymore. I have two other choices though, to walk home, or to take a bus.
Some days, I decide to walk. I am very fortunate; my house is so near the school, it takes me only 7.2 minutes! Oh, I must qualify myself. That is if I run at 10km per hour. This is not quite practical, given my heavy school bag, and the scorching afternoon sun in our tropical weather. In reality, it takes me about 20 minutes to walk home. I would pass by some elegant bungalows, and other landed properties on the way. I would never fail to gasp in awe at the elegant designs of the houses, or just the sheer size of the bungalows. I always pass by some guards. I'm sure that these homes belong to very important people, that is why they have guards. I often wonder how these guards feel doing this job. Although the 'scenery' on the way home is interesting, when the sun is especially hot, I would sweat buckets. This usually happens on the last stretch of my walk. At that time, I wished that I had taken the other option-that is, taking the bus home.
On other days, I remember the tiring journey home, and decide to take the easier path-wait for the bus. I have to take another school exit to get to the bus stop, so there is no change of heart once I made my choice. The bus arrival time is unpredictable. I feel very lucky when I do not have to wait long for the bus. However, my luck is not very good. Once, I waited for more than 15 minutes, but my bus was nowhere in sight. While waiting for the bus, I often feel that I am wasting my time. I would be thinking how close I would be to my house if I had chosen to walk.
My daily dilemma teaches me some interesting lessons. One, people tend to regret whichever path they take. Two (I like this lesson more), the easier path is often not the best path. In my case, I feel more in control when I walk home- I can choose to walk faster or slower, rather than waiting helplessly at the bus stop. I also get to see more interesting things along the way, rather than squeezing in the crammed bus with other commuters.
3 comments:
I hope that you have more luck next time when waiting for your bus!
You are lucky to be able to try both options on different days to learn these very important life lessons.
Interesting blog. Have you ever read Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken"? It would interesting to see if you could apply Frost's poem to your blog. Mr. S.
Post a Comment