Sunday, September 27, 2009

Great Expectations


Expectations are set every day. From your teacher setting a deadline for your assignments, to your parents expecting you to study hard, we are constantly governed by expectations. Expectations are very important in society. After all, "whatever we expect with confidence becomes our own self-fulfilling prophecy" If we set the right expectations, and work towards them, success will be one step nearer.

My parents have high expectations of me. They include:

  1. To be motivated
  2. To try my best in everything that I do
  3. To be honest
  4. To be independent
  5. To take initiative

My parent's expectations do not include anything about grades, or money, as they believe that if I am happy, motivated I will naturally succeed.

If I am a parent, I will also set similar expectations for my children. Firstly, I will expect them to be honest. I feel that honesty is a very important virtue. A liar is hated by the people around him, and honesty will keep him out of trouble.

I will also expect my children to have good learning attitudes. If a student faces his work with a good attitude, not only will he do well in his studies, he will also enjoy learning. After all, learning is supposed to be fun. I find it tragic that many students now hate studying. Whether they like it or not, we have to study hard if we want to survive in today's highly competitive society. If one enjoys studying, then his whole student life will be happy, and not 'torture'

I also wish that my children are determined, and motivated. Motivation and determination can drive a person to great heights, and these characteristics are very important no matter what you do. Only with these two virtues, can you succeed.

As you can see, my expectations and my parent's expectations are similar. These expectations are 'timeless'; regardless of which era we live in, regardless of where we stay, these expectations can guide us through our lives, and towards the light of success.

I will like to end off this post with a quote by Henry Ford (the inventor of the car) "If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right."

No comments: