Friday, June 5, 2009

The Little Prince


When I first started reading The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, I was a little astonished that this book was meant for adults, and teens. It seemed very childish, about a weird prince meeting a pilot, and going to imaginary places. I gave up about five minutes after reading it. However, I discovered that this book is quite famous, and is the most translated French book. I decided to give the book another try. This time, I pushed aside my preconceptions, and started reading. I realised that the book was not as bad as it had seemed.
The book is about a prince from a very tiny planet going to various planets. He visited a total of seven planets. On each planet he meets people of different personalities. On one, he meets a business man who is perpetually counting the stars that he own. On another planet, he meets a geographer. A geographer is supposed to know the location of mountains, seas, valleys…etc. However, the geographer says that he has no explorer to help him, so he does not know the location of many things.
Through his encounters with the strange people on the planet, a few themes are shown. The business man can be seen as a man who is so busy getting more money that he hardly has time to do other things, for example exercise. The geographer can be seen as a man who thinks that he is too important to do the practical work.
The Little Prince may seem like a children book, but if you dig deeper into it, you will discover that it actually has a lot of meaning.

No comments: