Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Parents’ Most Memorable Book


Recently, I interviewed my parents on the book that influenced them the most. I discovered that the book was called 'The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People' by Steven Covey. My parents read this book about 15 years ago, but they still remember the lessons taught in the book.

The book is about the seven habits one needs to adopt to be successful, and to be a leader. One very important habit is to think Win/Win. This happens to be the same as the school philosophy, which only shows how important this habit is. According to the book, in most situations, there are three scenarios- Win/Win, Win/Lose, as well as Lose/Win. A Win/Win situation is a situation in which both parties benefit, or is contented. This is the most ideal thing that can happen. We should strive to achieve this is in any situation. In the other two cases Win/Lose, and Lose/Win, at least one party is at a 'loss'.

The Seven Habits are basically about leading a principle based life. Using the principles taught in the book, my parents devised 10 'Commitments' for me and my younger brother to abide to. They are:

1. I am honest, even when I make mistake.
(诚实正直)
2. I do what is right, not affected by bad influences from environment.
(坚持原则, 不受诱惑)
3. I always do my best, never take short-cut.
(全力以赴, 不走捷径)
4. I seek every opportunity to learn, do not let fear of failure stop me.
(把握机会, 不怕失败)
5. I am not arrogant when I win, neither am I discouraged when I lose.
(胜不骄败不馁)
6. I expect more from myself, than from others.
(待己以严, 待人以宽)
7. I love my family, we help each other to be the best we can be.
(热爱家庭, 互相扶持)
8. I am happy with who I am and I can make the world a better place by working with others.
9. I am considerate towards others, not selfish.
(凡事替他人着想, 不自私)
10. I do not do to others what I would not like myself.
(己所不欲, 勿施于人)

No comments: